About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fulfilling Day


Yesterday Ray and I filmed a christian talk show. The host happened to be in the waiting room during my transplant waiting on her husband's surgery. We were a little apprehensive about sharing our innermost feelings with anonymous watchers, but we really felt like God could use our testimony in so many great ways. We actually had a good time doing the show and Ray particularly enjoyed it. (I will put a link to it on my blog once it airs next Wednesday and Thursday, if you are interested in seeing it.)


Then, I went to the hospital for a support group meeting. There are so many young LVAD patients there right now. Five that I spoke to who were under 30. The group was a particularly moving time and by the end of it, we were all in tears. It is so much harder for younger patients to be able to emotionally deal with such a difficult illness. Anyway, during the meeting I was able to share my faith and I am hoping that God will really speak to these ladies and give them hope and love. It is so exciting to allow God to speak through you.


Then we went to dinner with my mom and then dropped by my Aunt's house to wish her a happy birthday. It was a wonderful day; however, by last night I had to take pain medicine to be able to sleep because my back and legs and stomach hurt so bad. It's tough to remember that I am still healing and not able to do the things I used to yet. But my husband has been so wonderful as a caretaker and he always seems to understand.


There are a few verses that have been running through my head lately. They certainly help me make decisions about my health but they apply to every area of everyone's lives. Especially in light of all the political debates that have been happening around Columbus lately with healthcare and what not. They are verses I learned as a child in caravan but have proven to be my life's direction: "Lean not on your own understanding. But in all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

1 comment:

  1. It is so wonderful to hear your story. My wife Jessica, who is 23 and just gave birth to our first and only son Elijah Luke on her bityhday a couple of months ago just got an LVAD and is also awaiting a heart transplant. It is amazing that God can do things we never thought possible. The verses tgat got you through are the same verses we turn to everyday for hope. Thank you for sharing your story. It has been such an inspiration. I wish you the best of luck and I will definitely remember you and your family in my prayers.

    Seth Waters
    La Vergne, TN

    ReplyDelete