About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Home Sweet Home

So sorry that I have not posted sooner. WE ARE HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL!!

The surgery was a lot more difficult than I remembered it. I'm thankful for minds that block that out for us. This past week and a half has been fraught with pain and difficulties; however, healing has been swift and all of my doctors are very pleased with my numbers and results. No complications to the surgery to have my pump removed. I am now sitting here HeartMate free!

The return home yesterday was much easier than I was anticipating. And I was able to get a good night's sleep with the help of some pain pills and SIX pillows. LOL! Ray also got his first full night of sleep in two weeks. (He was sleeping in a recliner at the hospital... well, that is when there wasn't someone in the room taking blood, measuring blood pressure, giving shots, etc.)

Although this is a hard time for me, I have been constantly reminded about how great my family and friends are. Thank you to everyone for your prayers, visits, emails, flowers, cards, and phone calls. We are so very blessed. And thank you to those who have brought and are bringing meals, that is truly such a blessing. Thank you for being a part of this trial with us.

More to come later when I am feeling a bit better. I have lots of good hospital stories. I cannot wait to post a picture of flowers that my niece made for me out of construction paper because she thought I couldn't have real flowers. They were the envy of the hospital. She is so sweet. Till then, "Good night and big balls."

4 comments:

  1. Melissa ~

    So happy that all went well with the surgery, but sorry that you are dealing with the pain and discomfort. Hopefully in time with lots of prayers and rest, you will be up and about and feeling like your old self.

    Keeping you in my prayers!!

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats being Heartmate and Hospital free! Hope the pain subsides soon! Recovery gets a little better each day. I will keep praying for you, take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I wish you a peaceful and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a 57 year old male. In October of 2009 i went to bed and blew my heart out. I woke up 2 months later with an LVAD heartmate II. On October 25th I will begin the explantation process. Thank you so much for your story, It has helped me get ready for surgery.

    ReplyDelete