About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pain Pills

An article came out last week that I thought was ironic.  The title of the article read, "Even a Few Pain Pills May Be Unsafe in Heart Disease."  The opening line read, "Some anti-inflammatory painkillers are known to increase heart risks, and new findings from more than 83,000 people suggest that even a couple of days of treatment can be dangerous in people with a history of heart problems." 

When I was first diagnosed with heart failure, I was put on the typical regime for heart patients: beta blockers, diuretics, and an Ace Inhibitor.  The Ace (many people take this as their blood pressure pill) actually gave me restless legs. So my doctors tried several pain meds but finally settled on having me take Motrin.  For those of you that know anything about heart failure, you know one of the worst symptoms is swelling.  The Motrin actually caused my entire body to swell up and put me in the hospital.  When questioned why I would be taking a drug that made my heart failure worse, my doctors indicated that they needed to treat the pain.

My story has a good ending.  They finally took me off the Ace because my heart actually got too bad.  Once they took me off, I have never had another problem with my legs. Praise God!  Isn't it interesting though that some times we have to use something to treat our problems by embracing another choice that may hurt us in another way... There is a life lesson to learn here. :-)

Here is the link to the article if you are interested:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/18/us-even-few-pain-pills-be-unsafe-heart-d-idUSTRE74H72U20110518

Ray and I have been doing great.  I cannot tell you how thankful we are for each day.  I get overwhelmed when I think of all the things I would have missed if God would have taken me home last year.  I am so blessed for each day with my family and friends.

This week I will be meeting with someone to discuss cardiac rehab.  Like every other heart patient, my doctor is on to me about losing weight and exercising more, but not to stress my heart. LOL! So, the rehab may be just what the doctor ordered.  But I find any time you start something new, there is an element of fear involved.  But as my Pastor said this weekend, fear is man made and keeps us from accomplishing what God has in store for us.  So, I will press on.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new chapter in your blog Melissa - always interesting to read what you have to offer, and your progress is inspiring - thanks, Jenny Crouch Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is worrying to see how people abuse of pills for the pain in an exaggerated manner. Mentioned FindRxOnline in his blog that the most commonly used medicines are oxycodone, vicodin, lortab and percocet, but is greatly concerned the reactions and side effects of prescription medications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorcet is one of the brand names of the generic drug hydrocodone and acetaminophen. The narcotic drug hydrocodone is used in combination with less potent drugs like acetaminophen to form a powerful pain pills. Since Lorcet is a prescription drug, it can be availed only through a proper and valid medical prescription. However one can buy Lorcet online without any medical prescription. Online foreign pharmacies sell such prescription drugs online to patients who order it online.

    ReplyDelete