About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, January 11, 2013

3 Years From Not-Transplant Day!!!



Today, January 11, marks 3 years from my not-transplant day.  On 011110 (Jan 11, 2010), I was in the hospital when the nurses asked me, "How'd you like to get a new heart today?"  Fear, excitement, nervousness, craziness, fear, uncertainty, relief, fear, anger, hesitation, (did I mention fear?) every emotion you can imagine.  My world went into super speed for a few hours while I tried to deal with the thought.

Hours later, as my family and friends surrounded me, I realized that I was not going to be able to deal with it without the peace that only my Almighty Father can provide.  He brought peace amid my storm and reassured me that if I died, He would be waiting for me and that He would take care of those I loved that I would be leaving behind.  Or if I lived, that He had a plan to give me a future of hope and possibility.  He gave me the strength and peace to face another open-heart surgery.

Many hours later, I awoke to the nurse exclaiming, "It's a miracle!"  I thought the surgery had gone better than expected but was shocked when Ray told me that God had healed my heart and that I didn't NEED the transplant.  Awe, shock, and the need to immediately thank and worship my God followed.

That was three years ago.  Today, I am still experiencing a ton of emotions (but at least they are limited to a few a day).  He is still teaching me to grab hold of his peace and strength daily.  But I am so blessed to say that He is rebuilding my heart daily from the inside out.

Miracles are happening all around us.  At any time God can take the broken pieces of your life or situations and make something beautiful out of them.  One of my favorite songs of all time exclaims, "All I had to offer Him was brokenness and strife, but He made something beautiful out of my life."

So join me in praising and thanking God today for such an amazing peace and love.  And thank you for all of your love and support.  I would never have gotten through this illness without each of you!

1 comment: