About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Monumental Moments that Pass Quickly

A few weeks ago, my husband and I were licensed to be foster to adopt parents.  If you know us, then you know that we have grieved the loss of not being able to welcome a blessing into our home and that although we have been so thankful for giving me more time with my loved ones, we have felt the loss of not being able to have a growing family.

In January, my heart function improved, my doctors approved us for adoption, we went through the many many classes and paperwork, and finally got licensed.  To say we are excited would be an understatement!  I find myself keeping thoughts of the baby we will welcome out of my mind so that I don't become impatient waiting.  My MIL called the other day (by accident) but told me, "I already prayed for you guys today."  That statement humbled me.  And it inspired me to pray constantly for our little blessing and for the family that will be having the hardship of giving them up.  I feel very certain that this is the road God wants us to go down, and there is so much comfort and peace in knowing that you are in the center of His will.

I have joined a few online adoption communities and was stunned last week when I read a thread that started with the question, "The first time I saw my adoptive child I ___"  The responses were amazing.  Some people said they felt like they were always meant to be that child's parents, some people stated that they knew everything was as it should be, and most people stated that they feel completely and totally in love with their new child.  Wow!!

What a big moment - seeing your child for the first time - and I almost blew through it without realizing what an amazing and monumental moment it will be.  I am so thankful for people sharing their experiences and helping me to remember to savor and document each moment with the little blessing that God will bring into our house.

So now we are just waiting for the call... sound familiar?!?!?  Yes, it feels just like waiting on the call for a new heart transplant; however, when the call comes, I don't have to have my heart cut out and we will get a new addition to our family at the end. :-)  It could be any day, any time, waiting waiting waiting... :-p  God is so good and His timing is perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa.. I am a prior LVAD patient and am working on a book about the LVAD experience. I was wondering if you would like to participate in this project. All that would be required is that I interview you with questions about yourself before the implant and then your life after the implant. There is no compensation other than receiving a copy of the book and you being credited in the book. My e-mail is Thomas_martin_ca@hotmail.com and my website is OnePercentHealth.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Melissa. It sounds like an LVAD crutch to get you through to transplant worked for you. I am too old to be eligible for a transplant, so my LVAD is destination therapy--for the rest of my life. I am just two months post-surgery now, so am still healing from the surgery and very weak. I have started a blog about the experience at www.lvadlife.com.

    ReplyDelete