About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Life Gets Tough

The past few weeks have been a little challenging for me. My new medication changes have been difficult and Ray and I seem to have fallen into a little slump with our moods. Plus, my walking buddy and dear friend is on vacation and I haven't gotten to walk and talk regularly.

In just His way, God provided these words to me yesterday in my devotional time:

"There is a reason for your season of heaviness. Great soldiers are not made without war. Skillful sailors are not trained on the shore. It appears that if you are to become a great believer, you will be greatly tested. If you are to be a great helper to others, you must pass through their trials. If you are to be instructed in the things of the kingdom, you must learn from experience. The uncut diamond has little brilliance, the unthreshed corn feeds no one, and the untried believer is of little use or beauty. There are great benefits to come from your trials. Many people have a comparatively smooth path through life, but their position is not the equal of the tested believer. The one who is much plowed and often harrowed will thank God if the result is a larger harvest to the praise and glory of God. If your face is now covered with sorrow, the time will come when you will bless God for that sorrow. The day will come when you will see great gain from your losses, your crosses, your troubles, and your afflictions.

From all your afflictions His glory shall spring,
And the deeper your sorrows the louder you'll sing."

One of my college classmates passed away last week. He had been diagnosed with brain cancer in 2007. My heart broke for his family and friends, but I love the way everyone has remembered the incredible spirit he had throughout his life. I am hoping the some day, people will also be able to think of me in that light. So, although there are days that I struggle with my illness, there are also days when I am so thankful for the blessings that are in my life. My husband, family, and friends have been such an encouragement to me and I am so thankful to be a part of their lives. So, if you know someone who is sick or hurting, take a few extra minutes out of your day to call them, visit them, mow their yard, make them dinner, bring them flowers, etc. Remember that Christ said, "Love one another as I have loved you. By this will all men know that you are mine, if you have love for one another all the time."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Girl, just wanted you to know that I have been thinking about you lately, seeing as I haven't seen you in awhile. Hope all is well, take care. I started a blog too, not sure if I sent it to you or not but it's www.justin-omega-selby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    You are still on God's path .... he will lead the way. If you need anything, just yell at me.

    DAP

    My2ndHeartbeat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete