About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, July 9, 2010

The Shack

Lately I have been trying to keep my mind sharp by reading books of all sorts. My sister had given me a Christian series about a family and their relational, physical, and spiritual journeys. The books were very helpful in encouraging me to evaluate my life lessons and struggles and to see God's hand in all situations.

In addition, I have read several books by people who have had heart transplants. My hope was that I would find some understanding and comfort in others who have experienced similar trials. However, most of the authors disappointed me, as I found many of them did not accept their illnesses and frankly were pretty angry throughout the books. So, if you know of a good book about heart patients, I would love the recommendations.


Now I am reading "The Shack" by WM. Paul Young. Not quite finished yet, but only a little more to go. It's an interesting book, but I find some of it a little out there. But I love the idea that God loves us so much that He would invest himself so intimately in our sadness. I remember when I first got sick that I felt a little forgotten about by God. I knew there must be a purpose in it all, but I was certainly struggling to find it. In the end, the only option I had was to trust that God would guide our journey. I found this excerpt from the book that I just loved:

"Just because God works incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean He orchestrates the tragedies. Don't assume that His using something means that He caused it or that He needed it to accomplish His purposes. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

Anyone have any other thoughts on this book? How about recommendations for other readings??

P.S. Will post about our Fourth of July party asap... just waiting on pics from my little sister. Have I mentioned how darling she looks with a little one on the way??

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    The Shack forever changed my view of God. Yes, I know it's fiction, but it was amazing thinking so far outside of the box about how big and diverse God is. The wonderful message is that God redeems our pain and walks with us through it. God's sense of justice is not our own, and we certainly can't understand why God allows a lot of things, like your heart problem or my chronic fatigue. It would seem like God would want us to be whole and healthy so we can do great things for Him. I don't understand it, but what a beautiful thought that God Himself is walking beside us.

    Love to you! Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote you posted from The Shack. However, I couldn't stand the book. It was so theologically mixed up. I actually wrote up a personal review of it when I was done, and I have 13 separate points of contention. However, most people don't think like I think. Most people I know who've read it, love it. They focus on the amazing ability to forgive such a horrible tragedy, and they find that convicting; so from that point of view, it's good. The things I did like about it were (1) that the centrality of Christ and God's breathtaking, costly love come through loud and clear; (2) it's positive view of forgiving even the worst offenses; (3) that it portrays a positive picture of various races; and (4) while I do not believe it's portrayal of the Trinity is helpful in giving a person proper understanding, it does do a good job of showcasing both the oneness/unity as well as the distinct personhood--and I especially appreciated that the Spirit was given equal time with the other two. I will add that these positive points are available everywhere in Scripture and Chrisitan literature, so you don't need to visit The Shack to find them. But I understand why people enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete