About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Tis the Season

Tis the season... for shopping, parties, dinners, baking, wrapping, etc., etc. It makes me tired just thinking about it. But I love it!! Although this year has been so much more exhausting than usual. I find myself tired after just a little effort. This has been discouraging, but I am so glad to be out of the hospital!

My kidneys have healed and I am back on all my heart meds. I do have a "wound vac," which is a little machine that is helping to heal my incision site. It's a little annoying because it gurgles quite loud quite often (and sounds like my stomach is growling) and it always seems to happen at the most quiet moments. LOL! I should get it off in a little over a week. Yeah!

This week I started volunteering at a local health facility that offers reduced health care for people without insurance. I only worked a 3 hour shift, but was completely exhausted. Perhaps I started a little too ambitiously, so I am going to only do 2 hour shifts for a while. I was surprised at how little I was able to do without great effort. But I am choosing to look at it as a challenge to work myself back up to being able to work again. But truthfully, I was tired by the time I got out of the shower in the morning. LOL!

Anyway, I started this post to tell you that although this time of the year is always hustling and bustling, take time to slow down and love the life you are living. Remember that even if you give a bad gift, cook a terrible hors d'oeuvres, your cookies burn, your wrapping looks like a two year old did it, or your house looks like a tornado blew through, it will not matter if you don't have the people you love to share your holidays with. Take time to just spend time with them and not stress the small stuff. Because at any time, any one of us could be in the hospital and none of that will matter. (You know I am saying all of this because I needed to hear it too! LOL!)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment