About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Happy Happy


All my life I have been told to be happy and have fun. Always wear a smile, you might brighten some one's day. That each day is what you make of it, so be positive.

Well, there are days when you just don't feel like it, right?

Many of you know that I have been attending a support group at the hospital for people with heart pumps or heart transplants. These people have become my dear friends who understand what we are going through and are trying to make it through themselves. One of our group members (at 24 years old) passed away this week, one had to get a breathing tube put in, one went blind in one eye from an infection that is also in her heart, one is receiving multiple units of blood because he is bleeding internally, and several of our support persons are sick and discouraged (not to mention that I had to have a tooth pulled yesterday as well). And it is just one of those weeks where everyone is being hit hard and feeling discouraged.

Because of all of these hardships, I have been repeating over and over to myself that THIS IS THE DAY THAT THE LORD HAS MADE, I WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT. And you know what, as soon as I do, it reminds me of all the blessings that are all around us. For instance, my friend that went blind in one eye was very discouraged, but because of her eye problem, they caught the infection in her heart. See, some times we don't see God working behind the scenes because we are discouraged by what is in front of us.

Therefore, my heart is actually uplifted amidst the storm because I know I have a peace that will carry me through all the storms. Some times, I just need reminding that He is still watching over us and has our best interests at heart.

1 comment:

  1. I just read that you are out of heart failure!!! That is fantastic. I'm sorry that this has been a tough week. It's hard when others go through difficult times. It makes us worry that it could be us next time. But it also reminds us of where we are and what we've overcome. Keep counting your blessings! It makes all the difference.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete