About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Official Results

Sorry that it has been a little while since I have updated the blog. There have been several weeks of complications with my sternum from the surgery in September to remove my heart pump. It has landed me three surgeries in the past few months, several antibiotics with a corresponding severe reaction to each, two wounds that we are now dressing every day, and too many nights in the hospital.

Despite all this, I am so thankful to announce that my 6-month post-explant scan of my heart showed my ejection fraction at 40%. (Normal hearts function at 60% and heart failure is defined as anything less than 40%.) So, what I am saying is, I AM OFFICIALLY OUT OF HEART FAILURE!!!! Of course, I will always be treated as a heart failure patient and have to take the heart drugs. And also, my doctors will always be wary of how long I will stay at 40%. But as for me, I am just so thankful that God chose to bless me with this healing. Every day is such a blessing for me.

This weekend at church, a friend was singing about prayer and he pointed out that they had been praying for me for months, and I was so thankful that some times we can actually see how God answers our prayers. And I believe my healing is a direct result of that prayer. So thank you to each person who has prayed for my health; you are a part of the miracle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment