About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Need is Constant. The Gratification is Instant. Give Blood!


Today as I was on my way home, I passed a blood drive. It made me stop and breathe thanks for the people who are so willing to donate. There was a time when I received several units of blood in the hospital that litterally saved my life. Somoeone else's sacrifices literally changed the course of my life.

When you are asked to give blood or see a Blood Drive announcement, I am sure the first thing that runs through your mind is the needle that will have to be inserted to facilitate the giving. However, I hope your second thought could be that you may have just saved someone's life because you were selfless enough to take time to give. You are someone's hero and now you know someone who has personally been saved because people gave. Please consider giving. :-)

http://www.redcrossblood.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment