About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Caretaker's Shield

This morning I am preparing to go on vacation with my mom and sisters. Although I can't tell you how thankful I am for the memories we will create in this precious time together, I am also mourning leaving Ray for over a week. It hit me by surprise how much comfort and security I have from being under his care and how nervous I am to leave.



Caretakers do so much that we don't realize. And because Ray worries enough for the both of us, it frees me to live a little more carefree. He double checks everything, always ensures I have taken my pills, is constantly monitoring my diet and exercise, but most of all he always has a watchful eye on how I am feeling. When I get down, he makes me laugh. It is comforting knowing he is always there.

So, as I said goodbye to him this morning I was reminded of how much more my heavenly Father watches over me; orchestrating my every need and helping me to grow, even when it seems the pain will never end.

So, for those of us that have caretakers - THANK YOU for all you do. You are the true heroes in my book. Because without you, the fight would be so difficult. So, pamper yourselves this week. Because your happiness means so much to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment