About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stress Management

As part of my cardiac rehab, I attend a short class each week. The last two weeks have been on stress management and relaxation.

As I reflect on stress in my life, I have been amazed to realize that before my heart failure, I had an extreme amount of stress; however, since my heart failure, Ray and I have slowed our life's pace and have very little stress. What I find interesting is that we are just as fulfilled now as we were when we had a million commitments and activities.

After further thought, it occurred to me that perhaps my co-workers, my family, my friends, my fellow heart disease sufferers, doctors, nurses, pastors, etc. may benefit from a little "stress break" as well. So here are a few lessons learned on how to adjust your thinking and help form a healthier heart:

  • CHANGE YOUR THINKING
    • IDENTIFY DISTORTIONS -
      • all or nothing thinking (if the situation is not perfect, it is a failure),
      • overgeneralization (a single negative event is a pattern of defeat),
      • mental filter (dwell on a single negative detail),
      • disqualifying the positive (don't count the positive),
      • jumping to conclusions (no one does that right?),
      • magnification or minimization,
      • emotional reasoning (I feel it, therefore it must be true),
      • should statements (also includes musts and ought tos),
      • labeling and mislabeling (I'm a loser, he's a turd)
      • personalization (see yourself as a cause when you were not primarily responsible)
    • STRAIGHTFORWARD APPROACH - substitute a more positive and realistic thought.
    • COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS - list the advantages and disadvantages of a negative feeling, thought, belief, or behavior.
    • EXAMINE THE EVIDENCE - what are the facts? what does the data really show?
    • SURVEY METHOD - do a survey to find out if your thoughts and attitudes line up with what other people think and fee.
    • DOUBLE STANDARD - talk to yourself in the same compassionate way you might talk to a dear friend who was upset.
    • ACCEPTANCE - instead of defending yourself against your own self-criticisms, find truth in them and accept them. Then try to change them.
  • CLARIFY YOUR VALUES AND PRIORITIES
    • You don't have to do everything you are asked to do
    • Trim out time-fillers
    • Make time for the things that matter most
  • EXERCISE
  • HAVE FUN/LEISURE/LEARN
    • How did you have fun when you were a kid? Why not recreate?
    • Too much work and no play make for a dismal attitude.
    • Try new activities and get out of your normal routine.
  • RELAX
    • Any point in your day when you realize you are flying a million miles a minute, stop and take a deep, deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth (this includes when you are stuck in rush hour traffic)
    • Take time to stretch your muscles throughout the day
    • Turn off the radio, computer, tv and anything else that is noisy and soak in the quiet for at least 15 minutes a day to let yourself unwind and find your focus
Just thought some of these suggestions would do us all some good. Love and peace to you.

1 comment:

  1. Stress is a killer.... I am 5 years out from an explanted LVAD at U-W Hospital Madison WI. You have a nice site. Never give up! Chris

    ReplyDelete