About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Rough Week

Last night while visiting with a dear friend, my husband informed me that he doesn't think I am always open and honest about my feelings (physical and mental) with my friends and family. So, in an attempt to be honest, this past week has been very tough on me mentally. I have been struggling to find purpose in my daily activities, as I now have no responsibilities and nothing that I am required to do. Ray has reminded time and again that this should be my time of rest and that recovering and healing is my job right now. My dear friend pointed out last night that perhaps this mental struggle is actually a sign that I am starting to feel a little better and am missing the good parts of my old life. Albeit that there are reasons for my emotions (my mind has a list of things I would like to do but my body refuses), it is still quite tough when your world is turned upside down.

And then, in His awesome way, the Lord sent me this devotional last week:

"Perhaps tough times have turned your world upside down. Maybe it seems to you as if everything in your life has been rearranged. Or perhaps your relationships and your responsibilities have been permanently altered. If so, you may come face to face with the daunting task of finding new purpose for your life. And God is willing to help.

God has a plan for your life, and part of His plan may well be related to the tough times you're experiencing. After all, you've learned important, albeit hard earned, lessons. And you're certainly wiser today than you were yesterday. So your suffering carries with it great potential: the potential for intense personal growth and the potential to help others.

As you begin to reorganize your life, look for ways to use your experiences for the betterment of others. When you do, you can rest assured that the course of your recovery will depend upon how quickly you discover new people to help and new reasons to live. And as you move through and beyond your own particular tough times, be mindful of this fact: As a survivor, you will have countless opportunities to serve others. By serving others, you will bring glory to God and meaning to the hardships you've endured."

Can't you just hear God speaking those words to me?!? I love the way He has always taken care of me and that through every small and large battle I am facing, or you are facing, He cares and will shelter you under His wings!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, a break through ..... there is a reson for everything and as we travel on this path of life, God has a plan for each of us. We don't know how simple or ornate that plan might be, but you have to know that you are touching the lives of others as you go. It's like throwing a stone in a pond .... how far do the ripples travel? God Bless!

    ReplyDelete