About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Helping Hands

For months I have been on the mend and finally feeling like we are getting back to a semi-normal life. As I have been getting teased about not posting enough, I thought I would share some of my thoughts and lessons learned while I was sick. I hope all of you know that these come from a place in my heart where I would like to help you in your daily relationships with others who are suffering.



Today I would like to start at the beginning and share with you about the day we found out about my illness. There was a realization in my heart about how many other people were going through their day with excitement and fun, while our world was crumbling around us. See, we are a society that is ALWAYS on the go. We feel like we have so many responsibilities and things to do, that we don't take time to look around us and see others who need our helping hands.

Ephesians 4 says, "Live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." When others are hurting and need support, we have to not only be less busy so we can notice that they need help, but be willing to disrupt our lives to be there to serve others. You may actually be thinking that I am saying that others need our service, but what I am really saying, is that we need to serve in order to live a life worthy of the calling we have had.


Serving someone else who has physical, emotional, or financial needs will take a lot of patience. Although I have been blessed and am able to be home, there are so many trials that I face daily that I cannot express to you. Terminal illness is something that is emotionally and physically draining; however, because of my faith and the people in my life, I have been able to feel so happy and blessed. However, others around me are still suffering and we need to be patient and bear with them... not just for their benefit, but to give us purpose and meaning.

For those of you that are thinking that you know people who are suffering but you are not always sure how to help, or you don't really know the person really well, there are three "helping hand" ideas I would like to propose that would be ideal in almost any situation:


1. Food - EVERYONE is helped by providing meals. No matter what the struggle, cooking for someone else allows them the opportunity to not have to spend the time or energy into cooking. I know many of you are thinking that the person might have dietary needs; however, even when I was given food I couldn't eat, it was so nice to be able to offer it to my family or friends who were constantly here.


2. Finances - Who doesn't love to get money? LOL! I know that some people are very prideful and would not feel comfortable receiving cash; however, I think a gift card shows someone that you wanted to give them a gift to tell them that you really care about them. Some peoples' financial struggles are apparent and some are not. This is a tough one to know when you should offer; however, if you feel in your heart like they need a blessing and you are wanting to help and don't know how, this is an excellent way.


3. Time - This is the hardest for people to give, but I feel the most important. Be patient with those who are struggling because they don't always know how to tell you to help. But if you are around and willing, you will be used. Take time out of your day to pray for them. Take time out of your day to call them. Take time out of your week to visit them. Take time to realize that they may need help mowing, cooking, weeding, mulching, grocery shopping, etc. but it will be difficult for them to ask unless you have developed a relationship of patience and understanding.


It was amazing to me when I got sick how people were willing to change their lives to help me. It has changed my life. And I always thought that helping others was for their benefit. But as my husband told me a few months ago, he found his purpose and worth in taking care of my needs. He has become a person that we are both so proud of because he has been able to focus his life on the needs of someone else.


So, I am proposing by looking around you and recognizing the needs and hurts, and reacting with patience and kindness, you may find that your life could be changed and that you may be able to meet not only their needs, but yours as well. :-)

2 comments:

  1. you are an insperation(sp?) to many.
    Tell Ray and my family I love them and miss them and everything of good with me. Hopefully he will know who this is. JARH

    ReplyDelete
  2. JARH,

    Why don't you message me? It is about time to hear from you. email me.
    heatherdanielorr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete