About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Hour Not Known

Keeping in the spirit of sharing some lessons learned, I wanted to write about the motivation I have found lately to make every moment memorable and not just wait for time to pass. See, I think some times we stick with our daily routines and do not step out of our comfort zones to make the most of every opportunity.

Every day since I got sick I have the reminder that it may be my last day. It has given me the motivation I need to get out of bed in the morning and to try to make a memorable day. It is difficult some days because I don't feel like doing anything and don't feel physically well, but then the truth reminds me that if I stay in bed all day (or for those of you who aren't sick, perhaps this is staying in your normal activities) I will have nothing to be excited about, nothing memorable, nothing to make me worthy of the calling on my life, just a day of nothingness. For instance, yesterday I was feeling very downtrodden about the patients I had visited with on Wednesday at the hospital. It was tough having the reminder of the terrible effects this illness has on people. I was having a hard time getting out of bed yesterday until my mom, sister, and four nieces and nephews stopped by for a visit. It was yet another reminder to me of how many memories and wonderful opportunities I had to make the most of the day instead of just waiting for time to pass. Life is so short and passes so quickly...

Although I know we need days of rest, we should all be motivated to make the most of every opportunity because none of us know what moment will be our last. It is just that having an illness gives you the reminder of how fragile life is. I wish I could give that reminder to each of you to remember that our days are limited, so let's make a life that makes a difference.

Consider these verses: "Be dressed and ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. But understand this: if the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house get broken into. You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour that you do not expect him."


1 comment:

  1. Hello Melissa!
    Just flipping through your page here after you stopped by to visit John (my BF's son) yesterday.
    I am so glad you found the motivation to 'make the rounds'! Your story was so inspiring, and your hints etc. very helpful.
    Thank you so much for your visit, and continued health and happiness and purpose to you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete