About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Famous LVAD


Last week Dick Cheney was given an LVAD. There has been quite a bit of buzz around the entire ordeal. The LVAD (heart pump that I have) just got approved this spring as "destination therapy," which means that the FDA approved for people to get the pump that will not be candidates for a heart transplant. My guess is that Dick is a little old (late 60s) for a transplant and may choose to just live with the pump. (For more information see www.theheart.org/article/1099181.do) This is interesting to me that finally the pump is getting good publicity just because someone famous needs it. But I am glad that people are realizing the benefits; however, the surgery and recovery are pretty rough.


The LVAD has certainly provided us with a wonderful last six months where we have been able to live a semi-normal life. Our experiences and memories are so much more valuable to us now because we are constantly reminded how precious each day is. Plus, I am able to clean, shop, walk, and cook. And most of all, we are able to visit with those we love. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment