About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Reading Relics


Yesterday I finished reading the book "Mr NewHeart." Really enjoyed the book and was able to identify with so many of his thoughts and experiences. Mr. NewHeart had a massive heart attack that caused damage in his left ventricle that led to several episodes of V tach (heart fluttering) that caused his defibrillator to fire many many times. I loved his response in the book when the doctor asked him if was nervous about an upcoming procedure that had already caused his defibrillator to fire. He said, "I was nervous at my wedding. I was afraid in Vietnam. Right now, I am terrified." Living with fear is a major constant for someone with heart failure. Some days you can be feeling so wonderful and then in an instant your heart will flop, or go into V tach, and fear instantly grasps at your thoughts.

Daily I am reminded to trust God that all things are for His purpose and that with His strength, I will make it through the day. Then I get up the next day and start it all over again. God is really teaching me that every day is a gift and a struggle all in one. :-)

We have often discussed fear in a support group that I attend at the hospital each week. (Thanks to a dear friend that takes me every week!) Also, I know God is orchestrating all things in my life because we just joined a small group at our church and we were so pleased to find that we are doing a study on "Living Fearlessly." God has watched over us and is helping us in every area.

Still feeling pretty well. The doctor told me I could start using the elliptical machine. It's a lot tougher than I remember it being! And it makes my heart race so quickly. But I know in the long run it will be so good for me to build the strength of my heart.

I also tried cooking a salmon pasta this week. (I HATE FISH!) But I am trying to eat fish because I know how good it is for my heart. The pasta didn't make me gag, so that's a good thing. LOL


Also, a shout out to my sweet niece. HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY!!! Love you Banana. So glad for the past several months that I have been able to spend quite a bit of time with her. She is a very special person and I am so thankful to be in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment