About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pittsburgh

This weekend, Ray and I took our first overnight trip since before I got sick in March 2009. It was such a wonderful feeling to conquer (or at least subdue) our fears long enough to enjoy a short vacation.

We headed to Pittsburgh. It was one of those days that we felt like God has given to us as a present... the weather was perfect, the drive was beautiful, and we had a perfect time. We had a duck tour (the truck drove on land and water), stayed in a Hilton right on the rivers' edge (with a breathtaking view), visited the Andy Warhol Museum (it was just weird), saw "Hairspray"(it was a local company but it was one of the best shows we have seen, went up the incline in Pittsburgh (just for the view, because there was nothing else up there), went to the strip district where there was an outdoor market that lasted for several several blocks (visited lots of strange stores and a butcher shop that gave me the creeps), and had meals at the most wonderful restaurants (banana chocolate chip crepe pancakes... is there any more I can say?). It was an incredible trip.

It was so nice for two days to forget that I was ill or that our last year has been so hard. We made some lifetime memories. Although we walked over 12 miles in the two days, it was well worth the effort to explore the area. What an amazing trip.

Tomorrow is my big testing day. I would really appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. Ray will update the blog once we know something. Thanks again for all of your encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment