About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Testing Success... Pump to be Explanted

The testing went better than we had anticipated today. My echocardiagram (ultrasound of my heart) showed my heart to be functioning at 50% (normal hearts are at 60%) with my heart pump off. Then, I had a stress test where I walked on a treadmill and breathed into a mask that measured my oxygen usage. My heart responded exactly as it should have and all the doctors were pleased. (Of course, it was tough and exhausting, but exciting all at the same time.)

So, my surgeon is on vacation for the next few weeks so we will have to wait for him to return before any definite plans are made; however, I think it is safe to assume that the pump will be coming out!! YEAH! (But not yeah for the surgery I will have to have to get the pump out.)

My cardiologist still thinks I will have a mild case of heart failure after the pump comes out, but that I may live several several years before it gets to end-stage again. And she was pretty certain that eventually I will still need a transplant... but none of us know the plans God has for us...

I cannot say thank you enough for all of your thoughts and prayers. Several of my family and friends told me today that they were awake last night or today praying for me. I am certain that it was all of the prayers that have brought me to the place I am today. Thank you for being a part of this miracle with me. And please join me in celebrating!

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    This is incredible news. You are the first patient I've personally heard of to have the LVAD explanted. Way to go, girl!!

    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and pray to God that he guides your surgeon's hands on the day of your surgery.

    I wish you well.

    God Bless!!

    A "heartie" to your north,
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    You are truely an inspiration. What an incredible jouney you (and your husband) are on.
    Thanks for the great news....stories like yours make us appreciate each day. I admire your outlook.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, we've been praying for you, following your blog and are excited about your news! We serve the most high God and believe in miracles, looks like you're one of them. Drs have given me hope of a slight chance of explantation so we are hoping for that miracle too! We would love to make contact if you would want to leave your info at one of our GC Arby's. We've learned that God is rarely early, but always on-time. I survived 15 years (pre-pump) after heart failure diagnosis, so I believe you have many years of healthy, happy time with your favorite guy! God IS Awesome! Zack&Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'm sure you've been grateful for that machine I'll bet you can hardly wait to part with it! Not being attached to any medical equipment is such a relief. I'm so happy that your testing went well and I hope the surgery goes better than expected!

    I'll keep checking in on you!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete