About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Surgeon's Call

Tonight my cardiothorasic surgeon called me on my cell. How comforting to be able to talk to the man who will hold my fate in his hands... and also my heart. LOL! He called to intricately discuss the options of the surgery. After a very informative discussion with him, we have decided to have the pump taken out the same way it went in... and that means a hard surgery, lots of pain, and a long recovery time. I guess I had gotten my hopes up a little about some different options, but I trust that my surgeon is extremely skilled and is very concerned about my well being. He answered all my questions and was quite willing to entertain thoughts and anxieties I needed to discuss with him.

He also asked when I would like him to schedule the surgery (imagine that, a million dollar surgeon asking when I would be available). LOL! I told him right after Labor Day so that I can throw my little sister a shower and spend time with Ray's family, whom I have missed several important functions with over the last year.

I also discussed some concerns over my medication with him. I have been gaining about 3 pounds a month for the last 7 months. Also, I feel extremely tired ALL the time (even though I am getting 9 hours of sleep a night and even some naps now and then). Anyway, I have read reviews on my medication, Coreg, and several other patients said the drug caused significant weight gain and made them so tired they couldn't function or think clearly. After discussing this with my doctor, he told me that the reason I am on an abnormally high dose is because the drug works as a re-structuring of my heart and that the higher amount I can tolerate, the better the chance that my heart function will increase. I was very encouraged to hear this news. I was even more encouraged to hear him tell me that after the pump comes out, he will re-examine my dosage and reduce it based on my heart's condition. I guess just knowing that I won't feel this way for too much longer was encouraging. I am learning to deal with my illness each day, but the thought of getting better is sheer excitement.

The phone call put Ray and I into a panic, though. It made it very real and very close for us. It is tough to know we will have to endure another open-heart surgery, but we are trying to be brave. The verse that has been coming to mind this week is, "Take heart, for in this world you will have many troubles, but I have overcome the world." Please remember us in your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Yes I am taking 25 mg of coreg a 2x a day... as you stated my doctors also told me that it assists the heart in repairing itself... as well as Ramipril, an ace-inhibitor(2.5mg daily) that allows the heart not to work as hard in an effort to repair itself... Basically if the heart is in hibernation, these meds "reshape" and "repair" the heart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hide me now under Your wings. Cover me within Your mighty hands. When the oceans rise and thunders roar, I will soar with You above the storm. Father, You are King over the flood. I will be still and know You are God. I rest my soul in Christ alone. To know His power in quietness and trust. When the ocean rise and thunders roar, I will soar with You above the storm. Father, You are King over the flood. I will be still and know You are God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will keep you in our prayers. Know we love you!!

    ReplyDelete