About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Minor Surgery... There is Such a Thing

Sorry this post is a little late getting out. Suffice it to say we were in a whirlwind the last few weeks and didn't get a chance to get this blog updated.

As you may remember, in September I had minor surgery to remove my disolvable stitches that my body was attacking. The wound from the surgery did not heal and a few weeks ago I had another scan, which revealed ANOTHER pocket of fluid. So, after another week and a half in the hospital and another minor surgery, I think I am finally on the mend!!

It's funny to say minor surgery because any time you go under the knife, the same emotions and fear hit you. But I have found that when I compared it to my open-heart surgeries, it was much easier to endure.

When you have an illness, after a while, you get tired of being sick all the time. You just want a little respite from it. But that's the nature of illness... there is no respite. There is never one second of any day when you don't have it. So, you learn to cope. I have been coping with these little setbacks by remembering how far I have come and how much worse it could be. :-) And I count my blessings daily.

Oh, and thanks to my fabulous anesthesiologist, I was the talk of the hospital after my surgery. (Apparently he added a little laughing gas to my concoction, which I responded to quite well.) And NO - there are no videos or pictures. :-) Guess I don't hold my anesthesia very well! LOL!!

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. My friends and family have been such a blessing through this time. Thank you for not making me do this on my own and for being such an upliftment in a dreary time.

No comments:

Post a Comment