About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Tears for Fears



Last week I was speaking with someone who has recently had a heart transplant. She has become near and dear to my heart. It was interesting though, every time I thought of her I was amazed by how much strength and wisdom she displayed despite what she was going through. Then when we were talking she was disclosing how painful and difficult the illness was and how she always felt she wanted to present herself as strong and courageous for those around her who love her and feel her pain. But she was tired and hurting. I TOTALLY understood. Some times when we are dealing with difficult situations and pain, we hide our true suffering - not because we don't want to appear weak, but to spare those we love from feeling our pain.

It made me think of all those around me who are daily dealing with all kinds of struggles and pains. And it made me realize that most people (those who aren't cry babies) will be masking their tears and fears. They will be trying to navigate their lives as best they can without putting added burdens on others.

The problem of course is that we need others - and most of all - we need God. So, the next time I get impatient with someone or angry that they aren't performing at their best, I will try to stop and realize that maybe they have tears and fears that are hidden from the world but very real to them. AND I will pray daily for the encouragement from God to make it through my own struggles and those of the people I love. (And that includes you!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! we both wrote something about fear or as I all it "nerves" today. Your post is right on the money. I'm a man and men can't appear to be weak. I often say I could look unfazed as bullets flew past me, and with bombs going off around me ...... it's all a facade.

    When I go in for my regular right heart cath (through the neck), I'm looking all cool and calm ....... the BP cuff "outs" me though when it reports 168/110.

    If your friend ever needss to vent ..... I'm here, about a couple hours north of you.

    Keeping you in my prayers.

    Gob Bless!!

    Don at My2ndHeartBeat

    ReplyDelete