About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Quiet Meditation

Today was the first day where I spent the morning alone in quiet meditation. Someone sent me a beautiful reading on the healing power of God's word. As I sat listening to some inspiring music (have I mentioned how much I desparately miss singing to Ray's piano music) thoughts of memories of all the people who have touched me deeply in my life flooded my soul. My husband has been so strong through this ordeal; although he hides in the kitchen most evenings trying to clean and prepare for the new "low sodium" diet. Btw, he made delicious turkey burgers tonight, compliments of my Uncle Frank.

My Mom has been by my side every step of this ordeal and my Dad has taken the time to come down and stay with me (although he's home with a nasty cold now). My younger sister and her husband have also spent their evenings over here lifting my spirits. They are so strong. My brother and next oldest sister have been coming on a regular basis. In fact, my sister and her girls took me to the Science Museum this weekend. It was so uplifting to be out of the house. And my sister has a way of making everyone feel so uplifted without saying a word.

My other sister, aunt and uncles, other family and friends have been to visit. I can't tell you how much that encourages the heart.

Today, my Great Aunt brought over a friend who had gone through exactly what I am facing 10 years ago. The doctors also told her that she would have a very short life, but she has beat the odds and is actually out of heart failure now. :-)

I go to the Heart Failure Clinic again on Thursday (I know I know, why would they call it that?). They are going to double my medications. I am a little apprehensive and have heard it will be tough for a few days afterwards, but I want to do everything possible to help my heart.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, they are so comforting!

No comments:

Post a Comment