About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Submitted by Missy's Mom

Today was our second trip to the heart failure clinic at Grant hospital. Everyone knew Missy's name by heart. She weighs in first and she has lost 10 pounds this past week--hooray for diruretics. Then they check her blood pressure, pulse and oxygen level in her blood. She was almost normal today, 105/69. Then they review her diet, they want her to eat more, but she wants to keep losing weight, so we'll see. Then they gave her a double dose of her beta blocker, which strengthens her heart and we waited an hour to see how she would do. She seemed to tolerate it okay. The clinic keeps a notebook of Missy's tests and other records. When we were alone I read most of it. Some of it was scary, but they think Missy is doing good and following what the doctor said. They even kept copies of the spreadsheet Ray made showing what she eats and how much is her salt intake for a day. They want to share it with other patients trying to regualte salt usage.

We've been home for a few hours now and she is feeling the effects of the medication. She tried to get up and was so out of breath after only a few steps that it took a while to get her breathing calmed down. Now she is resting.

I cannot express how much I appreciate all the attention, cards, flowers and calls you have lavished on her. Every one means a brighter day for her and she loves the company the most--although the meals have been such a help. Thank you all so much, and keep praying, expecting that miracle only He can give.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment