About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Ray's Turn

Well, as you know, yesterday was a Heart Failure Clinic day. Unfortunately, my office sent me to a training, so Mom very generously took Missy in my place. Last night, Missy took a pre-dinner nap, and then we tried laying down upstairs, but couldn't quite get comfortable. So, we made the trek back down and I bunked on the couch while Missy slept nearly 10 hours in the recliner.

When we came downstairs last night, Missy's heart wasn't slowing like it should have. One of Missy's extended relatives had heard about her condition and had sent a prayer cloth (her church had prayed for healing over the cloth and sent it to Missy); as soon as Missy put the cloth on her chest, her heart rate slowed.

God has certainly been a part of this process, but His presence was very real last night. As a worried husband, I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who has brought food, visited, and sat with Missy while I've been establishing myself in a new job. My manager as well as my SVP of HR have been incredibly supportive throughout this time, even though I just finished my fourth week of work today. In fact, I was able to work from home today to help monitor Missy after her dosage increase. Again, I can't help but thank God that He put me in the right job at the right time.

Stay tuned for more updates!! And, again, thanks for your prayers, love, and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment