About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Home In Time For Fall!!

YES WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!! :-)

Monday they released me from the hospital. My doctor (who is a realist and does not sugar coat anything for me) let me know that most of his patients end up back in the hospital within 2 weeks for something. He was trying to prepare me for a little disappointment I think. :-(

The first few days at home were extremely challenging and overwhelming. We had so much equipment and paperwork to sort through. But with the help of my Dad and incredible husband, we are finally starting to get settled. Ray has been so strong, supportive, and optimistic through this difficult time. I am so proud of him.
My pain has been incredibly rough at home as I am using muscles I haven't had to use in quite some time. Getting in and out of bed and chairs and cars has proven to be difficult and painful. My nurse was chastising me this morning that I need to take more pain medication and be patient and wait for healing.

Today, my Mom (with my Dad's help) decorated my house for fall. It is a true blessing and has lifted my spirits a little. There is such a comfort that a mother gives when you are facing such difficult times; and my mother seems to have wisdom and love beyond her years. My family and friends have been such an encouragement to me through this difficult time. I cannot say thank you enough to all of you who have sent kind words, visits, gifts, and especially prayers. Please keep them coming as I still have a long way to go... :-)

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    So happy to hear that you are at home and what a nice treat for you to have your home decorated for Fall. That was so sweet of your Mom and Dad to bring some Fall cheer and color into your home.

    Thinking of you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete