About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Still in Hospital...

Today is my 42nd day in the hospital. I am feeling a little blue today because I got my hopes up that I would be able to go home today; but sadly, my blood is still too thick (which causes a risk of blood clots in my heart pump). So, they are upping my blood thinners and will re-test my blood on Sunday morning to see if it is safe to go home. I was really disappointed and have found it hard to be in the hospital these last few days. But as my dear husband reminded me this morning, at least I am here for something so simple as my blood thinness and not for some complication or surgery. He is right and I am thankful that I am finally starting to really feel better after all the surgeries. I am so thankful for my recovery and will hopefully be able to go home Sunday.

I came across a verse that I have been reciting to myself a lot lately: "Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and the He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

This verse comforts me because it reminds me that if I keep living by faith, He will continue to watch over and guide me and my family and will reward us for our faithfulness to Him.

This weekend there is a benefit for a dear friend of mine's brother who is very ill. There is also a baby shower for one of my girlfriends from college. I want so desperately to be able to be there for my friends and share in these big events in their lives, but am limited by my hospital stay. Please know that my heart is with you and for all of my friends and family, I wish I could be there to be a part of your lives right now and am hoping to return very soon. I love you very much and appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. I have been so encouraged by the many wonderful people in my life; thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    Sorry to hear about the news of you not being able to go home yet, but you have to remind yourself (as hard as it may be) that it is a good thing that they are closely watching over you and your health. The last thing you want is for something to happen, you have a setback and be back in the hospital for a longer period of time. Keeping you in my prayers that you will be released very soon and enjoying the comforts of your own home.

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete