About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

This Week's Adventures (from Ray)

We thought Missy would be going home soon, but her body just isn't liking being off the IV medication she's been needing and it also doesn't like the beta blocker her doctor's been trying. So, here we are for at least a few more days. After 27, what's a few more, right?

The big news from this week was that Missy got to go outside for the first time since she was transferred to OSU! The weather this week has been beautiful, and she stayed out for about an hour each time, walking both ways. Plus, last night, she took a 6-lap walk around the floor, which is about a 1/2 mile.

More big news: she is officially listed on the UNOS transplant list! She's at status 7, which means the bottom of the list and an inactive status, mostly because she just had surgery. We're glad the ball is rolling, but I'm sure the patience part will be very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment