About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Surgery Went Well

The defibrillator surgery went well on Monday, thank you for all your prayers. It was a lot more pain than I was anticipating and recovery from the surgery has been tough. I have had quite a bit of pain the past several days; however, the nurses keep telling me how great everything looks, so that's encouraging.

They let my blood get a little thick for the surgery and it is taking a particularly long time to get it thin again. If it gets thin enough by Friday morning, they are going to let me go home! YEAH! If not, I will have to stay the weekend.

Before the surgery on Monday, I was feeling quite anxious and sad to be having yet another procedure. As I was laying on the operating table and they were prepping me for surgery, a dear friend of mine who has been praying for me came into the operating room. It was a little reminder to me from the Lord that He was there, even if I couldn't feel Him there. God has never abandoned me, but it was so comforting that He gave me a physical sign of that.

I am hanging in there... but this is my 40th day in the hospital and I am getting a little discouraged. But I am trying to stay positive and continue to trust that God has a plan to work all of this for good. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I am a friend of Nikki's -- I wanted to leave you a note of encouragement. You are amazing!

    I cannot even imagine how hard this all must be on you. Know I think you are incredibly brave and I know that lots of little girls (and one little boy and possibly another :) need you!

    So, stay positive and know our dear Lord has you in the palm of his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    Sorry to hear that you are feeling discouraged, but I can imagine that anyone would feel that way if they were in your shoes. It sounds like you are one incredibly strong woman with one very strong and powerful God by your side. I would say that you are in good hands with God. Hang in there, stay positive and hopefully if all goes well... you will be home this weekend.

    Keeping you in my prayers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete