About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pumpkin Patch





Yesterday God gave me the opportunity to join my sister, nieces, mom, and dad at the pumpkin patch. It was so uplifting to see my four beautiful nieces having such a good time. I also got the opportunity to meet the family of a doctor who has been a huge blessing and encouragement to me through my time in the hospital... not to mention the other friends we got to see there.

Children are so sweet. At one point, one of our friend's daughter started asking me several questions about why I didn't need a wheelchair anymore and why was I carrying a bag. Explaining to her that they put a pump in my heart and that I am awaiting a new heart made me really thankful for the blessings God has provided to me. I have come a long way from the many nights of vomiting and being bed-ridden. She also made such a sweet observation, "I feel glad for you that you will get a new heart but really sad that someone has to die to give it to you." Even at such a young age, she understood way beyond her years. I have been praying for the family of the donor who will provide my new heart (although, I am still praying for a miracle and that my heart will get better on its own). Again, I really appreciate all your prayers and ask that you would please continue to pray. My heart transplant doctor said that in February, they will test my pulmonary pressures to see if they have improved. If they are where they want them to be, they will bump me up on the transplant list. (Last weekend there was a guy who was not critical, and he got a heart in less than 2 hours!) Although we are going through a dark time, it is so uplifting to have prayers being raised. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    I am Lois Justice's sister-in-law. I was also a close friend of Janie's when we were together at MVNC back in the 80's. I remember Janie talking about you when you were a little girl. She used to relay to us the funny things you would say :-)
    I have been following your blog since spring. You are truly an amazingly strong Christian woman and have been so inspirational. I know you must have your bad days, but it's easy to see in your writings that the Holy Spirit is ministering to your spirit.
    I have been praying for you since March and will continue to do so.
    Sincerely,
    Lorie Hatcliff

    ReplyDelete