About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wonderful CoWorkers

This morning I headed downtown to clear out my office. For those of you who didn't know, I had taken a new job in March as an IT Audit Chief for the newly formed State Internal Audit Group. I had only been at the job for 3 weeks when we found out about the heart failure. In those short 3 weeks, I made some wonderful friends... and got to work with some old ones (that's not an age innuendo Joe, Jim, Greg, Ed, Chuck, and Rich).

Throughout the last seven months, my co-workers and bosses have sent flowers, cards, and some even visited me in the hospital (including my wonderful boss). I can't express how much that touched my heart...

As you can imagine, it was a great place to work. Clearing out my office (and thank you to Susan who kept my bonsai tree looking amazing) was a hard realization that it will be a long time before I am able to return to work. The doctors have told me that I am not allowed to work with the VAD (or drive for that matter:-). They have told me that they will clear me to go back to work one year after a heart transplant.

Being so young, I am really praying that God has big plans for my life. I feel like I have so much to give. I feel that because I have been so blessed with such amazing people in my life, that I want to give that blessing to others. Hopefully I will get that chance. :-) Until then, I will miss my office on the 35th floor overlooking downtown. But most of all, I will miss the people I won't get the opportunity to work with for a while. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment