About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Heart Mate II LVAD

Because I have gotten quite a few questions about my heart pump (LVAD), I thought I would post a few words on what it is, how it works, and how it affects my day to day life.

The Left Ventricle Assist Device (LVAD) is a pump that was implanted August 18 to help my heart function. The pump looks like the bottom of a kitchen sink and is made mostly of titanium. It weighs around 7 pounds. It is connected to both my aorta and left ventricle. Basically, my heart still beats, but instead of the heart pumping the blood to the body, it pumps the blood into the LVAD and the LVAD pushes it to the rest of the body. It is a continuous pump, so I have no pulse. :-) Here is a picture of the LVAD:


The pump is connected via a cord to an external controller. The controller has to be plugged into a power unit at all times. I have several batteries that I carry around during the day and a huge power unit in my bedroom that I plug into at night. We have to change the dressing on the site in my stomach where the cord comes out every other day.

A lot of people have asked if I can feel the pump in my stomach. Every once in a while if I lay a certain way, I can feel a heaviness in my chest. Also, I hear the pump continuously in my ears (it sort of sounds like a vacuum cleaner). It isn't annoying or loud, just there.

It's amazing how far advanced the medical field has come. I am so thankful to the people who have given so much of their lives for this surgery. And I thank God continuously that He is watching over us and has provided a way for me to spend more time with those I love. Every day I wake up and tell myself, "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." It's a new mind set when you know how precious each day is.

The pump will only be necessary until I get a heart transplant. In February they will test my heart and lung pressures again, and if they have improved, I will be bumped up on the transplant list. When I get a new heart, my LVAD and defibrillator will be removed. Praise God! I never thought I would be praying for a heart transplant, but we never know what trials we must go through.

I was talking to my sister yesterday about how there are two ways to look at every situation: with anger or sadness for the things that are tough or with thankfulness and joy for the blessings and mercy from things that could be worse. Ray and I have chosen to try our best to be thankful for the many blessings we have been given and for the way God has watched over and protected us during this difficult time. It is easy for us to get sad and discouraged, but it seems when that happens that God sends some words of encouragement to help remind us of His love for us.

11 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    You are a wealth of information. I had no clue what all the LVAD entailed, but geesh after hearing everything... it is amazing to know how far the medicial field has come. Great to know that God is watching over you and keeping you safe. I think of you often and keep you in my prayers!! Annie and Grady came out just the other day to bring me my earrings that I ordered from your party and I can't believe how big Grady is getting. I was asking her about you and we talked a bit about you. Just know that I pray for you daily and when the time arrives... I pray for that heart that you will need.

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy,

    I still read your blog faithfully and think of you often!

    Wendy (Eckelberry) Croy, MVNC 2000

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! I had no clue! And you have no pulse gave me a chuckle!!! I too am very thankful for how far the medial field has come! I am glad to hear you feel better, and we are all praying that in Feburary your heart feels better, better enough to get you bumped up!!! It is the month for hearts right?? Think about you two often!! Take care and enjoy your time together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless you and your strength! 11 days after my LVAD implant i went home! Now that i am out of hospital i am doing all the research i can.

    Any suggestions appreciated!

    Joshua LVADone@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife has a pump also but now she is feeling pain on the left side of her chest. The lvad has moved and it is pressing against a never. The have given her pain meds but still not better. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ***Frank*** i tried to connect with you but you dont have your profile opened to the public... i had my LVAD since 11.23.09 i was getting left side pain too, but it was actually gas pains that developed from open heart surgery. Did your wife actually get an ECHOCARDIOGRaM to see if the LVAD moved?... also it is natural that the LVAD shifts once implanted as the organs around it settle. feel free to contact me. BLESSINGS to you and your wife. Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa,
    I got my LVAD March 4 of this year. It was pretty sudden and not expected, I didn't know such a thing existed until I got one. Even though I don't like wearing the heavy batteries around and have cried a million tears over not being able to go swimming, I am happy to be alive and grateful for my LVAD. I have a 5 yr old daughter & a 15 yr old son with my wonderful husband of over 16 yrs. I need to lose 40 lbs to be bumped up on the transplant list. My husband was holding my bag with the shower door open on one side while I took a shower at first, now he has fixed my shower up where I can use it comfortably, if you need any tips on that let me know as I could not find anything on showering with an LVAD on the internet. Also my Mom has put slits in a couple of my dresses with snaps so I can fit my control system through and wear a dress without it hiking up one side like my gowns do, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Good luck to you and I hope you get your transplant soon. Suzanne PS My email address is suzandon@yahoo.com, I do not have a blog but you are welcome to read my story on caringbridge.com, you will need to enter st1

    ReplyDelete
  8. At the End of February I had a Heart Mate II installed at the University of Washington Medical Center. about 2.5 months later, just as I was getting comfortable with all the proceedures of wearing the unit, I got THE CALL... we have a donor for you. I am now one month old, healthy, walking about 2.5 miles a day, and can hardly wait to drive again.... it has been an amazing 5 months

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for letting me een comment this page ... I love your information and I would drink to more about it

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT WAS SO NICE TO HEAR AND IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. MY AUNT HAD AN UNEXPECTED HEART ATTACK APRIL 18TH AND WE BEEN HERE IN THE HOSPITAL SINCE (MAY 21). SHE IS DOING VERY WELL FAR AS UP TALKING,WALKING,EATING, AND PATIENTLY WAITING FOR SURGERY WHICH IS MONDAY MAY 23RD. BUT I THANK GOD HE PULLED HER THRU BECAUSE SHE WAS VERY SEDATED AND ON MANY MANY MACHINES AND MEDICATION. BUT IM PRETTY SURE AFTER THE LVAD IS PLACED SHE WILL BE JUST FINE. SO JUST HEARING YOUR ENCOURAGING WORDS MADE MY DAY THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today is July 5th 2015. I had my LVAD put in on May 11. My breast bone still hurts unbearably at time and especially when I cough. I totally passed out three days ago bouncing off the wall and floor. This jarred my back and chest increasing my pain severely. As an old MMA fighter I know the difference between pain and soreness and I am sick of hearing it's soreness. I know pain: fractured jaw, spine (3 places) and broken nose. What I still feel is pain! How long does this last? Feel like I made the biggest mistake of my life. Any help, suggestions, please email me at jlclex@yahoo.com. Thanks, John

    ReplyDelete