About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

This morning I was preparing food for a dear friend's birthday party... until we had to return to the hospital. One of the hardest parts of being sick is missing important events in the lives of those we love... Anyway, somehow I have caught a pretty nasty infection under my incision and needed to see the surgeon. Hopefully tomorrow he will be cutting it more open than it is now and getting rid of the infection. So, it should hopefully be a short hospital stay... but any stay is too long. :-p

I had forgotten (or rather refused to think about) what it feels like to be a patient. It's tough. When you are getting poked and prodded you try to smile and push through the pain, but it gets difficult after you feel like swiss cheese from all the holes they have made in your skin.

Lately I have been feeling so great and full of energy. My life has slowly been returning to my new "normal" where I can cook, clean, shop, and visit. What a blessing to have this time with my family and friends.

So, again, hopefully this will be a short hospital stay. They are starting me on antibiotics, culturing the infection, and the doctor will see me in the morning. So, for today, I am lounging around the hospital with my husband trying to be thankful that it was a mere infection and not something worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment