About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, August 28, 2009

You have a brain! (from Amy)

On the roller coaster of recovery today started out a down day...

Melissa woke up in a bit of pain today after they started her back on Coreg last night. They decided today that the switch was made too quickly and was causing her quite a bit of pain. Needless to say they switched her back to her milernna-ma-nanana (as it sounds to me :o) ) They are going to try taking her down slowly (Like the kiddie roller coaster hills!) and get her back to the coreg in a day or so.

In the midst of all this she had a CT scan of her head because the Doc was a little concerned about some vision abnormalities Miss was having. This evening he popped in just to say "Your brain is normal!" It has been encouraging to all of us how knowledgeable and proactive her Doc has been through this whole whirlwind. He assured her that tomorrow would be a better day.

Already this evening has been better...nothing a little sweet and sour chicken can't fix! ;) Tonight Missy walked a third of a mile and has gotten many compliments about how great she is looking and getting around...even on a tough day!

On another note the family has been learning how to keep up with Missy's recovery and we have been training up on getting her in and out of bed, going for walks, and changing her bandages. Here's a pic of the tutorial Ray and the nurse gave me on changing her cord dressing...I think blue is my color!

Continued thanks for all the love and support. We have all been blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment