About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, November 2, 2009

In-Laws

This weekend was a lot of fun. I have found that every second of life seems so much more valuable after you realize how quickly we will all slip from one life to the next. And each second with loved ones is a treasure.

We had Thanksgiving with Ray's step-mom's side of the family yesterday. They have been so encouraging through our difficult year. Many of his step-sisters and their families have sent us cards and letters or visited us in the hospital. I cannot thank them enough for the way they have reached out to us (even if no one tried my pumpkin cheesecake that I made from scratch... which I was so excited to be feeling well enough to make! Thankfully our dear friends Annie and Dave got to enjoy the cheesecake and a little time of relaxed conversation).

Ray's dad's side of the family also made their mark in our lives this weekend. Many of his aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. wrote us beautiful letters of encouragement, love, and prayers. It was such a precious gift for them to collectively make us a box of loving letters to help nudge us through our difficult time and remind us that even though we don't see them all the time, they are sending love and prayers our way.

Ray and I are so thankful for such wonderful family members and friends. Today this was my reading from James 5:15-16, "And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

We have felt your prayers and God's hand in our lives lately. I have felt so well lately that I am walking an hour a day and still having energy to cook dinner and do light chores. It has been a tough time and we know we still have a long road ahead of us, but we are so thankful that we won't be going alone. And we are thankful for this precious time that we are able to share with family and friends. So please, keep the prayers coming. And please feel free to come for a visit... I would LOVE to see all of you and really enjoy every minute with loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. Wendy (Eckelberry) CroyNovember 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM

    I am so glad you are doing well and are enjoying time with family! I continue to check your blog and keep you in my prayers!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete