About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bleeding Again?

As you can probably guess, I am in the hospital again. :-p Apparently my VAD is stripping my red blood cells. This was probably caused by me skipping my blood thinners on Monday and Tuesday in anticipation of my heart cath. My doctor thinks the thickening of my blood probably caused some clots in my VAD. So, I am getting IV blood thinners and fluids to try to flush out and thin the blood.

This has been an interesting hospital stay. I have met and talked to so many other patients that are having complications with their VADs. It is heartbreaking for them, but I keep trying to remind them that God has a purpose for everything... but that is tough when people are suffering. I have been holding tight to a promise from the book of I Peter that states people who suffer now and still praise God will be blessed in heaven. That is a wonderful promise.

Today a very dear friend of mine brought me a little Christmas tree and a beautiful Willow Tree nativity. And my precious husband got me Christmas lights to decorate my IV pole. And earlier this week, my boss from work, Joe, brought us home-made Christmas cookies. This has helped it feel like Christmas, even in the hospital. I cannot thank you enough!

Today I am missing my niece's polar bear birthday party; although, I got to take her out Christmas shopping on Thursday. Her and her sisters are so very dear to me and it breaks my heart to miss her party. But as sweet as she is, I know she understands. Love you Bear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment