About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

PERFECT

This morning on the way to the hospital, I was praying about the procedure and the timing of the heart transplant. For the first time in a while, I really felt the Lord speaking to me and telling me that I will know His will by whether or not my pressures are "perfect."

At the hospital, the nurse was explaining to me that they did an antibody test with my blood where they mix my blood with blood from people in the surrounding area to see what the risk would be that my body would acutely reject the new heart. Guess the result? 0% risk... PERFECT!

Then the doctor did the heart catheritization and ... you can probably guess... he said my pressures were PERFECT. In fact, they were so low he thought they might be better than his own pressures. :-)

What this means, is that next Tuesday when the transplant team meets to discuss cases, they will decide how quickly to put me on the list. The transplant coordinator suggested today that it could be as early as next week. However, I am still on antibiotics for the e-coli poisoning and I will need to be weaned off of them first (I think).

It is all very overwhelming to think within the next few weeks that I could be getting a new heart. I know this is God's perfect timing and that He is watching over our steps, but it is still difficult to think of going through another open-heart surgery and the recovery. I would really covet all of your prayers through this time and appreciate all your love and support.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    Sounds like everything is slowly falling into place for you. How exciting. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Prayers that you will stay healthy and that they will find the perfect heart for you. Just think... you could have a new heart for the New Year!

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy and Ray,
    I have been keeping track of your blog since I heard about your illness. I've also uplifted you in prayer so many times and I pray and trust that the Lord will give you the grace to make it through each day.
    I have been reading a book by Brennan Manning called "Souvenirs of Solitude" and I ran across a quote he made by Dr. Robert Frost and felt moved to share it with you. It goes:
    "There is nothing more precious to God than our praise during affliction. Not praise for what the devil has done but praise for the redeeming power of our heavenly Father. What He does not protect us from, He will PERFECT (emphasis added) us through. There is indeed a special blessing for those who do not become offended in God during adversity. Furthermore, we become a special blessing to Him!"

    It's interesting that you wrote about "perfect-timing" in your latest blog. Missy, He will "PERFECT" you for your praise, adoration, and devotion to him.

    Blessings on you this week...

    Love and prayers,
    Chris
    echristopherwarner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete