About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I MADE THE LIST!!

Yesterday, I was placed at the top of the heart transplant list!! Yeah! I will have 30 days at the top of the list to receive a new heart. If I don't get one, I will drop down a status, unless I have yet another complication that lands me in the hospital. :-(

And yes, I am still in the hospital... first it was because my heart pump was grinding up my red blood cells. Now it is because my kidney levels were elevated and they wanted to be very cautious since they just listed me. But I am crossing my fingers that I MIGHT get out today. :-)

Tomorrow morning will be a meeting with my family and very close friends and the heart transplant coordinators. They will explain how everything will work and what to expect post transplant. Please pray for this meeting.

A lot of my loved ones have been asking me how I am handling the news. My logical side know this is my best hope for living several more years. But of course, my human side is scared to death... okay, not death. LOL. But to be honest, I have a huge peace for this surgery. Although I know it is one of the most serious and risky surgeries and post-surgeries, I am not too anxious or too upset. This is largely due to the reassurance that God gave me last week that His timing is perfect and that He is watching over my healing. My trust is in Him right now and whatever happens, I know it is His will.

I cannot express to you how much your thoughts and prayers have meant to me. Every prayer, every card, every phone call, every gift, every visit, and everyone reading this blog and caring enough to want to know what is going on in our lives, I am so thankful for you. I could not make it through this most difficult time without you.

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and enjoyed reading it. I also have a VAD and must wait until Nov. to be put back on the list again (a little problem with cancer snuck in). I am hoping that you get out of the hospital and that your wait will not be long. It has lifted my spirits to read your blog. I intend to keep following it. Best wishes, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    May your wait be a short one for that perfect heart.

    I volunteer at my Tx Center (couple hrs north of you) and see VAD patients each week. They do EXTREMELY well after transplant.

    If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

    DAP

    http://My2ndHeartBeat.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy, so happy to hear the good news...will continue to have you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news Melissa! Hope and pray you get your heart soon. We are all thinking of you.

    Raj.

    ReplyDelete
  6. melissa this is great news i hope you get a heart soon! :)

    ReplyDelete