About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Home! YEAH!

The doctors finally let me go home Wednesday afternoon, with a promise that I would have labs done and return Thursday for a follow up. Thursday morning after labs were drawn, my dear family and a few very close friends met at the hospital for a meeting with the transplant team.

The meeting was very informative about the pre, post, and during surgery events. As of Thursday, I am the only 1A status in central Ohio (meaning I am the top of the list). What I loved about the meeting, was that each one of my family members and friends' personalities showed in the meeting. They are so wonderful.

So, the perfect heart can arrive at any time now. I will remain at the top of the list for 30 days. After that, I will drop a level. I have heard a lot of transplant patients say the wait is the hardest part; however, I have very little anxiety about the wait. I am really trusting that God is going to bring the right heart at the right time. But I pray for my family and friends who are struggling through this with me.

I love the holidays and have really enjoyed the time I have had at home. My uncle's family is in from Arizona this weekend and a few of my sisters and I are cookie baking on Monday. I am really looking forward to it. (Except that I seem to have caught a migraine and stomach bug and have been in bed for 2 days. But I am feeling better this morning and looking forward to seeing everyone.)

Can I also say that I LOVE the snow!! What a wonderful addition to the holiday season!!

2 comments:

  1. I keep reading your posts. I remember when Scott was listed. It was such a relief to finally get there after the difficult work-up. I do think waiting is very hard. I like to plan and have control over my life. It was hard for me to know a huge, life-changing event was coming but not know the date. I'm glad you are out of the hospital! Enjoy every moment. We knew Scott would not get out of the hospital without a new heart and that was difficult over Christmas. I still pray for you. Be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so strong Missy! I keep reading your updates and just praying for you daily. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete