About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's Official - No Longer On the Heart Transplant Waiting List

This morning I received a call from my doctors telling me that they think I am doing so well that I can be removed from the Heart Transplant Waiting List. Previosly I have been in an "inactive" status.  My doctors wanted to wait and see how I did after explanting the LVAD.  So, 16 months after explant I am well enough to be removed from the list. What an amazing hurdle! I am so blessed. Thank you to everyone who has journeyed this time with me. I certainly could not have done it without each of you. YEAH!!!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    You have truly been blessed! To have had LVAD surgery, to heal enough for an explant, and now to come off the list is simply anothger of God's miracles.

    I'm not going to stop reading your blog, so I hope you enlighten us occasionally.

    God Bless!!

    Don P. (120 miles north of y'all)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many patients have to wait for a suitable donor organ to have a heart transplant. It might take long time due to the unavailability of organ donor. My brother has been very fortunate enough when he had a heart transplant surgery at Justsavelives organ transplant center and he got the immediate organ donor that really saves his life.

    ReplyDelete