About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Not-Transplant Day

I often refer to Jan 11, 2010 as "not-transplant day." In reality, every day for me so far has been not-transplant day and every day I am so thankful for the healing God gave me; however, that day was a very special day...

Do you ever have those days when you feel insignificant or forgotten? Truthfully, that's how I felt when I got sick. I knew God had a plan, but I was broken and praying daily for the strength and grace to make it through the day. Then Jan 11, 2010 happened. I remember my sweet mom hobbling into my hospital room telling me she was so excited that she slipped on the ice and sprained her knee. But she didn't care - she wanted to be there. I remember my husband by my side, my brother and dear sisters. My cousin, aunt, best friends, and the staff at OSU that had become like family to us. How very important I felt that day. Not just because God healed me, but because He surrounded me with such a multitude of amazing people in my life. A special two-year thank you to all those that shared that day with me. I have oft told Ray it was a perfect "last" day if it had been my "last" day. But amazingly, it is just a perfect memory!! Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment