About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Money Can't Buy Me Love

This year one of my New Year's resolutions was to read through the Bible in a year. Earlier this week in my reading Jesus told the story of a manager who knew his boss was going to fire him so he brought in the people who owed money to his boss and reduced their payback amounts. The Bible praised this man for using money to make friends but I was confused because I like justice (not just because it's my name) and it seems to me this was a horrible and dishonest manager.

I also couldn't help recalling a cheesy movie from the 80s with Patrick Dempsey (Can't Buy Me Love) and I was questioning why Jesus would be encouraging us to use money to buy friendships. And it took me a few days of meditating on this to find the answer.



See, it's not about "buying friends" it's about having a heart to help and bless others. If we are willing to give of our time and money to others that need help or maybe just need a small blessing, then hopefully along the line others will recognize that goodness in our hearts and want to be a part of our lives. And most of all, we will be proud of ourselves for having a more selfless heart.

It's interesting because my mom is one of the most giving people I know. And I admire her for it, but of all the habits I picked up from her, this isn't one of them. I do love to help others but I think perhaps I have used my illness as an excuse to curl into myself the past few years and not give back as much as I know I can.

So, I can't wait to start giving out time and money. (That doesn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean.) Join me in helping or blessing someone else today and becoming someone we can be so much more proud of! (Sorry Mom for ending my sentence in a proposition.) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment