About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, April 1, 2011

CAT Scan Dangers

Since my surgery last September to remove my LVAD, I have had some problems with my sternum healing up and have had some pockets of fluid popping up. Because of the fluid, I have had four CAT (or CT) scans in the past several months. In my reading, I have been surprised by how much radiation one is exposed to in one scan. I have been researching this issue a little and am flabbergasted by what I am finding. Apparently, the risk of developing cancer later in life is exponentially increased by the radiation, especially because I am a young woman.

So it all comes down to risk verse benefits. My damaged heart is certainly a more immediate concern than cancer down the line... because without a healthier heart, I won't make it to "down the line." However, do you think the medical community should be doing a better job of educating us on the risks of this procedure? In my researching, I found quite a few articles from doctors warning that we are going to have a cancer epidemic on our hands because of the overuse of this useful scan. Anyone else have any thoughts or wisdom on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment