About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fish Oil?


Last night I did a little reading about fish oil. You always hear everyone talking about how healthy it is to eat fish (especially for the heart). However, I have not found a fish that I like. My reading from a study last night concluded that eating fish just one time per week lowered the risk of a cardiac event by 42%. That is significant.

Many of you reading this naturally then think, what about fish oil supplements? Well, there are some effects of fish oil that require me to have to discuss it with my doctors before attempting the supplements. For instance, fish oil thins the blood... so be careful if you are on blood thinners (including aspirin). And I didn't really find a lot of research on taking fish oil regularly. Anyone else have thoughts?

So, I have been letting my husband cook fresh fish periodically. I have found that if he coats it in walnuts or pecans, the nutty taste seems to overpower that "fishy" taste. I can't say that I like eating fish, but some times you have to do what's best for your heart. LOL!

3 comments:

  1. Melissa.
    I have an excellent resource for you on fish oil. If you're interested, just email me at irishred24@gmail.com. I'd love to share!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Great way to enjoy fish

    Cook one onion in olive oil or what is best for you. Add a low fat cream or milk about 4 cups
    one small pakage of cherry tomatoes and 1/8 lb. of cut up fine Surimi (Fake Crab lol). Use as a sauce for Tagliatelle Pasta or any type. I am not sure if with a special diat if you can use this but my family loves this. jarh

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you can also top with cheese or your choice, ray may like it this way

    ReplyDelete