About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happy 30th Love!

If you have ever had an extended illness, you know what a blessing it is to have someone to love and care for you through the tough times. The last few years have been no exception for us, and I cannot begin to tell you what a blessing Ray has been through this time. When I couldn't walk, he set up a table and entertainment for me in the living room; when I couldn't eat salt, he and mom and sisters began cooking low sodium recipes; when I couldn't sleep, he stayed awake all hours of the night trying to console me; when I had hospital stays, he slept in a recliner next to my bed at the hospital; when I was wheeled into surgeries, his face was always the first I saw when I woke up; when I had wounds, he did daily dressing changes (oh wait, we are STILL doing those); when I cried, he cried with me. Better than that, was when I was able to walk again, when I took my first shower on my own, when I was able to cook dinner, when I began to clean the house again, when I wanted to direct the choir, and as I am preparing to return to work - he has celebrated each victory with me.

Throughout my illness, I have been amazed at the depth of our relationship. Awed at how sacrificial love (especially in a time of need) has empowered me to keep fighting through the pain and victories. I am certain of how blessed I am through our marriage.

Often times throughout my illness the guilt of placing such stress on my family has been difficult. Making Ray live the life of a caretaker instead of a normal 29 year old weighs oft weighs heavy on my mind; however, I cannot begin to express how proud of Ray I am and the person that he has become through this illness. And I know those close to us would agree.

Unless we have been a caretaker, we surely can't know what a difficult road they walk. They deal with all the stress and problems and also have to protect their loved ones from additional hardships by taking extra burdens on themselves. If you know someone who is taking care of a sick one, give them a hug. I guarantee they are dealing with more than you can imagine. And I am so thankful that people love so much in their hearts that they are willing to sacrifice their own comfort to care for someone else. They are our true blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment