About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Steadfast Mind


This week at the transplant/LVAD group at the hospital, we were trying to encourage some new members who are going through a very difficult time. They were asking us how we were able to get through the long times in the hospital, multiple surgeries and procedures, and the fear that all of it would be for nothing if we didn't make it through.

As I was reflecting back (as I am feeling amazing now and am just thanking God daily for His healing) I was amazed once again at the way God's steady hand held us each day. There was a verse that my sister sent me at the beginning of my illness that I meditated on regularly: "He will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is steadfast on Him." When Ray and I felt overwhelmed or when we would begin to fear surgeries or procedures, we would stop our minds from thinking of anything but His love and grace.

I suspect that this "steadying of the mind" holds true no matter what trial or obstacle you are facing. Instead of worrying, or having anxiety, pray for peace, strength and wisdom to get through your trial with grace and dignity. He is always faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment