About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Psalm for Sunday Morning

"Have compassion on me, LORD, for I am weak.
Heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.
I am sick at heart.
How long, O LORD, until you restore me?

Return, O LORD, and rescue me.
Save me because of your unfailing love.
For the dead do not remember you.
Who can praise you from the grave?

I am worn out from sobbing.
All night I flood my bed with weeping,
drenching it with my tears.
My vision is blurred by grief;
my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies.

Go away all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.
The LORD has heard my plea;
The LORD will answer my prayer."
Psalm 7

This week our support group lost a very dear friend. Also, several of my friends are in the hospital, discouraged, or have lost loved ones this week. If there is one thing I have learned through my illness, it is the depth of God's love for us. Something about grief and suffering make us think God has abandoned us or that He is punishing us... but I know the opposite to be true. He is teaching us, molding us, and loving us as a father does when he instructs his children. We cannot possibly know the entire picture of what is going on, but we can always trust that God loves us so deeply, and that He always has the situation in His hands. I know grief and suffering are hard, but learn to trust in His love.

The hardest part about dieing for me was wondering what would happen to Ray. And it wasn't until I realized that God loved Ray more than I did that I had peace. Not only does God love him more, but He is so much more capable of watching over his life. Trust God and trust in His love for you, especially during the most difficult times in life.

4 comments:

  1. Melissa: I happened to come across your site and would love to speak w/ you about your experiences. My son (21 yrs. old) just had his LVAD explanted on March 16th. He was born with cardiomyopathy, and the last two years have been a time in our lives when God has tested our strength. If you are interested in speaking, please let me know and I will send you my e-mail address. Many thanks for the wonderful site!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, would love to speak with you. Please e-mail me at missykaye2000@yahoo.com

    So sorry to hear about your son. I never understood how much pain people can go through until the last few years. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Melissa. I definitely will e-mail you, just have to go lay down first lol. So tired from work. Have a great night and will talk to you soon. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa Im so happy for you! will be great to talk to you! In 2010 a month before having my second baby I was diagnost with Cardiomyophaty... I was treated, and after having my baby I felt great... I was never told I could not have more babys, and now that I was planning my 3rd and last baby, the Doctor have told me I can't...I feel very sad and Im trying to look for people with my same problem for some advice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete