About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, April 29, 2011

When You're Sick... You Need Your Mom

My mom has been with me through some rough times. And it seems in every situation, she knows just what to do (even when you get meat stuck up your nose). For the longest time I thought it came from her mother's intuition, but I have come to learn that her wisdom and grace are from years of experience.

When I got the diagnosis of heart failure, my mom was with me. She didn't try to candy coat it or lighten the mood, she just cried with me and reminded me that no matter our struggles in life, we must face them with grace and strength. She stayed with me through sleepless nights, she spent nights with me in the hospital, she cooked for me, she always brought me goodies to the hospital, and she always encouraged me to be strong.


There is always something about my mom's presence that gives me strength. When she would come to visit me, she would sit quietly and crochet or read (that's code for take a nap) and wouldn't make me talk unless I was feeling up to it. She constantly encouraged me to deal with the pain gracefully, not to complain too much, and to do everything possible to get better. My mom has many physical ailments herself, but she never complains about them - in fact, she doesn't really talk about them. She goes for treatments given through IV over 3 hours, but she doesn't make a big deal of it. She is tough. And she inspired me throughout my illness to keep that attitude of dealing with our problems with grace and dignity... and most importantly, with prayer.

You know I could go on and on about her, but I think I made my point. When you get sick, you need your mom around!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment