About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Do Not Be Afraid

After our episode at the hospital yesterday, it has been incredibly difficult to come home. I found myself drenched in fear and sadness. How appropriately, my devotion this morning was:

The Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward" (Gen 15:1). These words were spoken shortly after Abram had given his nephew Lot the choice of territories. Lot chose what appeared to be the best, Jordan's well-watered plain. Abraham, however, looked to the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Thus, he lost nothing.

Then the Lord appeared and seemed to say, "Your nephew Lot trusted in what he could see. He followed the leaning of his own judgement and chose what seemed best for his immediate advantage. Abram, do not be afraid, you will not lose, for I am your shield and your exceedingly great reward. You have chosen the good part, and it will not be taken from you. Do not worry."

You have seen others suffer losses and afflictions, and it has probably depressed you. Regardless of what happens, do not be alarmed. God is your defense and refuge in the day of your trouble (Ps 59:16). You will be most secure in Him. You may have losses and afflictions, but they will not overwhelm you. You will be kept by God's power. He will deliver you out of every trial and affliction. He will be your shield and your exceedingly great reward.

Thank you for the book Lesley; it has ministered to my heart!

1 comment:

  1. I do not know what to say, but I know Ray needs you, so stay strong Missy! My heart breaks for you, but I know the Lord will carry you both through this trial. My thought and prayers are with you! Take care, and rest and relax!! Love you both Heather

    ReplyDelete